Cooperative Education (Co-Op) is a selective program for sophomore year students in the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science that combines academic study with approximately eight months of paid, career-related professional experience.
Co-Op Eligibility and Application Process:
Because of the rigorous academic schedule, only students with a GPA of 3.0 or better in the sophomore class are invited to participate. The official letters of invitation are sent home over the Winter Break. If you decide to participate, you enter the next phase of the process.
During the spring semester, sophomore year, Co-Op candidates interview with companies offering the Co-Op experience. Once you have received and accepted a Co-Op position, you attend Lehigh during the Summer Sessions to complete the first semester, junior year of course work. The first work rotation begins after summer classes conclude in mid-August and ends in the December/January time frame. The Co-Op experience is completed with the second work rotation that begins the following May and lasts through August.
Co-Op Work Schedule:
- 1st Work Rotation
- 2nd Work Rotation
Students who are majoring in the following engineering areas are eligible to participate in Co-Op:
Computer Science and Business
Information & Systems Engineering
Materials Science & Engineering
Benefits of a Co-Op Experience:
- You explore career opportunities and goals in a supportive, real-world environment.
- You work as a professional in your major field, blending theory with application.
- You clarify your career interests and begin to establish a professional network, increasing your chances of employment after graduation.
- You finish your degree in four years while completing 7-9 months of full-time work experience.
- You offset your school costs by earning prevailing wages.
- You earn six free-elective credits for the experience, three credits per rotation.
- During the fall work experience, you maintain full-time student status at Lehigh.
List of Current and Past Co-Op Employers:
Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
St. Luke's University Health Network
Essroc Italcementi Group
For more information, contact The Center for Career & Professional Development at (610) 758-3710 or at email@example.com